Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Reflections On 9-11. What Did I Learn From It?



Every year, for the last 13 years, I have had to take some time to process what happened on that fateful day in 2001. This year is no different. I spoke at a school this morning to the 9-12th graders and shared my story. Some of them weren’t even born yet when all this happened OR they were very, very little so they have no clue the effects it had on those of us who were old enough to remember.

The good thing about time getting us farther and farther away from that event is that for some reason, this year, I am not AS emotional as I have been in the past. In fact, until the 10th anniversary, I would get depressed and moody in the weeks leading up to that date. On that date, I would feel heaviness all day and would be glad the day was over. This time it was different…don’t know if all the craziness of life has kept me distracted or I am healing. I hope it is the latter. I think it is. This year, I talked more about “what I learned from 9-11” instead of focusing on the actual events.  That made a difference too, as I prepared. 

I would like to share 3 things that came out of my experience in not only living in NYC but  ministering for several years especially that first year of constant service. I feel that the Lord wants me to share it with you, the reader, so take it for what you need to. The first 2 points are pointed at Christians especially and the last is for those who may not have asked Jesus to be the boss of your life. 

Here goes: 

Everyone is watching.  I am not talking about being paranoid that people are “watching you”. I am talking about people watching how you handle life. As I met with family members of those who died, they told me this. In their last moments, their loved one was the one that people came to when they all knew they were going to die. One particular man, Al Braca, led some to the Lord as well as offered assurance to those who were believers. Because of how he lived, in those pertinent moments, when they all knew they would not make it out, he was able to bring comfort and salvation to those who “watched” him all those years. As a follower of Christ, I am to LIVE to display Christ in my life, every day. Colossians 4:5 says this:  Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity”. Colossians 4:5 

If I honor the Lord, He will be glorified in my death. Revelation 2:10 says this: Be faithful to me, even if it means death, and I will give you life as your prize of victory.  A young woman of about 26 had over 1000 people at her funeral. She had died instantly as her office took a direct hit. When they went to celebrate her life, many came to honor her and found that the family chose to honor Christ through her life. Several people that day and in the months ahead came to know the Lord because of the “way” she had lived in her life. All that she did honored the Lord. She has eternal “life” and those who knew got introduced through the way she lived. 

 Never take for granted that I will be alive tomorrow.   Today is the only day you and I have guaranteed. NON FOLLOWERS: Are you ready to meet the Lord? Have you asked the Lord to be the boss of your life? Today is the day! We really AREN’T guaranteed tomorrow. James 4:14 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."… 

What happened on 9-11 was VERY, VERY BAD!!! God is VERY, VERY good!! He is a DEPENDABLE GOD. He really is. Trust Him. Draw near to Him. Let Him in your life today. I PROMISE, in the 41 years I have been a follower of Christ, I have never been alone, never been disappointed and saw that God KEEPS his promises, unlike humans. He loves me and you and the WORLD and He wants us, He longs for us, His creation, to be drawn to Him. Maybe you have had a “9-11” and you blame God…that’s okay. He still loves you and hasn’t gone anywhere. Maybe you are turned off by what you may call “hypocrites” in the church…guess what, we are ALL hypocrites in some form or fashion because we are imperfect. Don’t look to others for your relationship with God….look to GOD…to Jesus…HE created you and He is big enough to handle whatever you throw His way. He simply loves you and desires HIS creation to be close to him. 

God was present on 9-11. He gave us free will but He still shows up. He has better plans for us than we know ourselves. He is in control and in the end, He wins. He didn't MAKE the people die that day, people did. Some very sick people who thought they could control others tried but did not win in the end.

Today is the day!! If you don’t know what to say….just tell HIM your heart. Ask Him to be the boss of your life admitting you don’t want to be the god of your own life. He hears your heart. Then, when you are done with that conversation, go have one with someone you trust who is a believer in Christ.  Tell them what happened to you.  

Reflect on this....



No comments:

Post a Comment